On Oct. 17, Adult Sunday School saw the class jump into the Total Picture Bible Study material with both feet. Last week, Pastor Vince Giardino began this new series of bible studies, which is a continuation of his previous series, Big Picture bible study. Students will keep a notebook for these classes: for handouts and their own notes. New notebooks were distributed to those who needed them along with catch-up handouts from the previous Big Pictures classes.Pastor Giardino started out by by clarifying the definition of “perfect” in the verses, “For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” I Cor 13:9-10. This definition was a topic of much discussion last week. After much study and consultation, Pastor now strongly believes that “that which is perfect” is “charity” in the people of the church. “Perfect” does not mean flawless. Likewise, “that which is in part shall be done away” refers to the healings, miracles, and other signs; there was no longer a need for the gifts of the Spirit once the church was mature.I. Bernie Wheater was asked to do an Old Testament walk-through to help the class come up to speed. He did this by referencing 12 major events in the Old Testament:
(1) Creation – God, Adam, Satan being the main characters; man’s fall.
(2) Flood – Noah; man multiplied/evil worsened.
(3) Tower of Babel – Nimrod; tower destroyed/language confounded.
(4) Patriarchs – Abraham, Jacob, Isaac; 12 tribes of Israel.
(5) Bondage – Joseph; dreams interpreted/Joseph governor of Egypt.
(6) Wandering – Moses; took his people out of Egypt.
(7) Conquering of the Land – Joshua; Canaan/doing the Lord’s will.
(8) Judges – Gideon, Abimelech, Sampson; falling into evil
(9) Kings – Saul, David, Solomon; people demand a king.
(10) Kingdoms Split – Judea: 2 tribes, Israel: 10 tribes; corrupt rulers.
(11) Captivity – Daniel; Assyrians and Nebuchadnezzar capture tribes.
(12) Return – Ezra rebuilt people, Zerubbabel rebuilt temple, Nehemiah rebuilt wall.
This was followed by 400 years of silence.II. A summary of the New Testament was then done by Pastor Giardino. John the Baptist was the last of the Old Testament prophets. The law ended with John, who baptized Jews and Jesus, who of course is the main character of the New Testament. The four gospels were written with 4 distinctive personalities: Matthew (lion), Mark (ox), Luke (man), and John (eagle or deity). Pastor then went through the high points of the New Testament: disciples, Holy Spirit, first church (Acts 2), multiplying of church, stoning of Stephen, Paul apostle to the gentiles, time of the gentiles, roman rule, Paul preaches resurrection, teach in all the world, epistles, small epistles (Hebrews and James to be used during tribulation), church matures, charity increases, signs disappear, rapture, 7 years of tribulation, Jesus’ return.