Prophecies about Christ’s Birth
By Bill Brinkworth
“The Bible View” at http://www.openthoumineeyes.com/
Long before Christ’s birth, the Bible described His coming. Here are some of the many prophecies and the approximate dates they were foretold.
- 1872 B. C. was when it was told He would be of Abraham’s lineage. Genesis 22:18
- 742 B. C. was when Isaiah said the Child would be born of a virgin. “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.” Isaiah 7:14
- 740 B. C. was when Isaiah foretold that the child would be God in the flesh, amongst His other abilities. “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6 “Prince of peace” was fulfilled in Luke 2:14.
- 740 B. C. was when Hosea said the Child would live in Egypt, and would be called out of it, Hosea 11:1. This prophecy was fulfilled in Matthew 2:13-14.
- 713 B. C. was when it was told that the child would be of Jesse’s family line also, Isaiah 11:1.
- 590 B. C. was when it was told that He would be a descendent of King David. Jeremiah 23:5-6
- 510 B. C. was when it was prophesied that the Saviour would be born in Bethlehem, and of the tribe of Judah. “But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.” Micah 5:2 The prophecy was fulfilled in Luke 2:4-7.
- Psalms 2:7 states He would be the Son of God. Luke 3:22 tells of the fulfillment of that prophecy.
The birth of Jesus was not an ordinary birth of just any person. It was a well-planned, special event by God. The birth of Christ ushered in God’s promise that a Saviour would come, and through Him, any could have God’s promise of eternal life.