by Bill Brinkworth of www.OpenThouMineEyes.com
I have heard most of the excuses not to win others to Christ. Honestly, I have experienced most of these excuses myself and have heard the same excuses from many of the most-used-of-God soul-winners I have encountered. None of the reasons for not obeying God’s command to win souls to Christ are biblical. Here are some of the most common reasons many give for not winning a lost soul from their eternal destiny of hell to eternal life in heaven:
- “I’m too shy.” All feel like this at one time or other, but should not obedience to God’s commandments supersede our pride and selfish feelings? Is not a soul’s eternal destination more important that our feelings of self-consciousness?
- “I don’t feel like it.” Laziness to do the right thing is another non-biblical reason many hide behind.
- “I didn’t know a Christian was supposed to tell others.” Too many do not read for themselves the Word of God, so they do not know what they are commanded to do. Unfortunately, many preachers who do not want to offend their members also do not make their flock aware of what they are expected to do.
- “I’m afraid of what others may say or think.” It is a shame that a person that we may never see again may not have the blessing to hear the salvation message from our lips because of our fear. Jesus was not afraid to show others the true way to heaven even though He knew it would cost Him his earthly life; nor were the Apostles; nor the many that gave their lives so that others could hear it; nor were the many that attempted to tell us.
- “I don’t know what to say.” Most people do not know how to tell others how to be saved when they first are saved themselves. Tell them how you got saved; then begin to memorize different scripture on salvation. God always convicts others through the use of His Word. Hide scripture in your heart; so that when the Holy Spirit uses you to witness to another, you have it there ready to win a soul to Him.